A PILGRIMAGE TO JAPAN with Canon Raphael Ueda, Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest
October 8-16, 2023
Jesus said, “I have set thee to be the light of the Gentiles; that thou mayest be for salvation unto the utmost part of the earth.” Walking in the footsteps of St. Francis Xavier, XVI Century Apostle of the Indies and Japan, visit holy places sanctified by Holy Missionaries and the Hidden Christians, who grew in number, surviving over two centuries without priests or Holy Mass. Pope Pius IX considered this among one of the Church’s greatest miracles! Discover Christ in Japan, the Land of the Rising Sun!
- St. Francis Xavier Church in Tokyo with an authentic relic of its patron saint, and the National Museum of Tokyo, Japan’s oldest art museum
- Discovering the Hidden Christians of Nagasaki who persevered in their faith for over two-hundred years despite being sacramentally deprived
- The 26 Martyrs Museum in Nagasaki with historical artifacts and relics, including original “fumie,” images of Our Lord and the Blessed Mother that the faithful refused to trample on, even when the penalty for not doing so was death
- Museum of Takashi Nagai, local physician, radiologist, and survivor of the atomic bombings of WWII
- Unzen Hot Springs martyrdom site (featured in the film Silence)
- St. Maximilian Kolbe’s Hongochi Monastery
- Grand Cathedral of the Virgin Mary. Constructed in 1963, the cathedral replaced the earlier St Agnes Church built in 1894 but was destroyed in the bombings during WWII.
Traveling with Canon Raphael Ueda
Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest
Rector of Immaculate Heart of Mary Oratory, San José, CA